Enjoy this guilt-free homemade healthy version of Nutella.
I got great news for you: here I bring a super easy recipe for you to make your own homemade healthy version of Nutella. 100% natural, with 100% real ingredients, no additives, no dairy, no refined sugars and no chemicals that harm our liver and general health.
Nutella is that delicious and very sweet spread made of hazelnuts and cocoa that has turned popular in the last years. Not only into desserts or pastry but into daily lives of tons of people around the globe. Its incredible marketing has positioned it as “an important part of breakfast” because it is “a great source of energy”.
I write the last sentences into quotation marks just to highlight that from a really healthful and conscious perspective, Nutella is far from being what they profess. With this I don’t mean to bully Nutella; I just want you to open your eyes and heart to a new really healthy lifestyle that does not believe blindly in the food industry’s promises.
And well, I finally made my own Nutella at home, AKA Cocoa and nuts spread. It is so easy to do and you can adapt its flavor to your preference. If you prefer it with a stronger flavor add more cocoa or viceversa. The best thing of cooking at home is you you do have real control of what you put into your mouth!
- 1 lb raw hazelnuts (or any other nut; I used Brazil nut for this one)
- 8-10 tsp cocoa powder, 100% natural and unsweetened
- 6-8 tsp panela powder or granulated (also known as piloncillo or rapadura)
- A pinch of sea salt
- Oven and food processor
- The night before, leave the nuts soaking. This will activate them and will allow our stomach to absorb its nutrients better
- Next morning, drain the soaking water and rinse them with new water
- Take them to the oven for 25-30 minutes (until the nuts are golden) at 365°F
- Place the nuts and salt into the food processor for 5-10 minutes over high speed until the nuts release their own fats and becomes a creamy and soft spread
- Add cocoa and panela powder and keep processing until reaching an even color
- Try and adjust its flavor according to your preference. Be prudent with the panela
Save it into a container with a lid. Glass containers make it last longer. You can keep it into the fridge or not.
As I mentioned before, I made this one with Brazil nuts but feel free to make it with any other nut you like. I’m sure it tastes wonderful with almonds, cashews or even peanuts. We already know how good it is with hazelnuts but don’t hesitate trying other nuts as they will give them their own flavor.
You can actually enhance its nutritional properties by adding natural seeds as Chia, hemp or flax.
Got questions regarding the ingredients or preparations? Please write everything down in the comment box to know more about my homemade healthy version of Nutella. I’ll be happy to reply.
Don’t miss the amazing cashew butter recipe!